Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PCV valve location on a GSR???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay, I've looked at the diagram in the Helm's manual. Man, cartoon in that manual is so easy to see. Well, the real world is a little of something else.
    I removed the intake pipe, front strut tower bar, poked my head around and looked, no sight of it anywhere...The JRSC is virtually in the way with a bunch of hoses. Below that is the engine's frame? I think the JRSC is blocking it and no way to see it from above (I think).
    So I jacked up the car, crawled down there and reach around, couldn't feel/see it anywhere. Is there a way to get to it??? Is my JRSC completely blocked it out or something??

  2. #2
    Inactive Member registry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2000
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe it is located on the oil cannister in back of the engine, which is just to the passenger side of the oil filter. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't replaced mine yet.

    ------------------
    "99" GSR Emerald green sedan-6 psi /JRSC,Walbro 255 lph fuel pump,AEM CAI,Comptech stainless 4-2-1 header,Comptech stainless exhaust,MSD 8.8 ignition wires,Comptech upper and lower strut brace, Comptech sport springs,DC short throw shifter, JR btm, chrome KMC Tarantula wheels on Toyo 205/45ZR 16" Proxes T1S tires, Power Stop cross drilled rotors, Energy Suspension motor mount inserts, Piaa 1700 plantinum driving lights w/Pia Super whites replacement bulbs,walnut woodtrim interior,etc...


    Wing/future dark tinted windows and very proud!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's the red thing.

    oilboxpcv

    tb off


    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC, I/H/E, yada yada yada...
    My JRSC Install Site

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My pictures are so clear because that is BEFORE the JRSC install. It's still very accessable though. My wiring harness stayed in one piece and is not in the way of the PCV valve.

    Heh, heh... I hear you on the fun of working on it. I originally broke the PCV valve off in its' grommet and drove around for two days with basically a hole instead of a PCV system!

    I bought some 10" long, bent nose, needle nose monster pliers (it was $26 for just one tool!). However, with that tool it is pretty simple to work on the PCV valve.

    Later,

    Greg

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Turismo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 1999
    Posts
    557
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just think how much easier it will be to replace the PVC valve next time when it's on top of the catchcan wink .

  6. #6
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, with the catch can it won't be a problem at all. I mean why don't these Honda ninjas put a little adaptor and hose like we did and move the PCV out?? Obviously engineers don't associate with the mechanics.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, look down between the passenger side of the intake manifold between the block and the JR bypass valve... about 3" down below this level and just behind the theromstat housing. There are two fittings in the top of the oil seperator box: the one farthest away from the block is the PCV valve. It has a 90' bend in it and a hose coming off towards the firewall.

    It is the RED part in the photo above.


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  8. #8
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Thanks for the pics/replies guys...

    Actually I've found it (before reading your posts)...I got pissed and looked at the cartoons again (Helm's)..well based on the diagram, it was just slightly inward but below that clear plastic thing connecting to the fuel rail (what is that thing anyways?)
    Well, poked around and I saw a hose...it's way down there. There are basically three hoses (two are coolants) in it's path. And immedicately on top of it is a like a bundle of wires which COMPLETELY covered the PCV valve. When i say a bunch, I meant a BUNCH!! (at least 20 electrical wires of all colors) spreading over the PCV valve...I have no idea how Holden's PCV valve picture is so clear and seems so easily accessible.
    I tried to reach in and I could only get my THREE fingers into that tiny little space.
    The JRSC is blocking it big time...
    So I was thinking..."okay....I can't reach it, can't replace it...maybe should leave this to a trained technician.."
    Then I noticed the hose which connects to the PCV valve is almost falling out...I got the long screw driver and poked around moving those electric wires out of the way to see and guess what? The stupid PCV valve's hose felt right off.. eek I was like...WTF ??? Now I can't even drive my car to the shop to get it fixed!!!! mad !!! (Noticed Holden's pcv valve has a clamp on, mine doesn't...hmm..hello quality control)!!
    So now I have no choice now but to do it.. I got a long tip flier and tried to pull that PCV valve out while using a long screw driver manuvered all those wires out of the way...Well after about 1/2 hrs, finally got that damn PCV valve out. Well the fun didn't end there, it took me another 1:30 hr to put the new adaptor in (had to remove those coolants hoses to make room and used a long flier to put the barb connector and new hose down that oil separator's openning). It's a B*tch is all I got to say. Why these Honda Master Ninjas decided to place the PCV valve which needs to be replaced every 15K or 30K miles in that tiny little place is beyond me.
    Anyways, the other end of the hose which connects to the intake manifold is below the car but right in the open...Thank you God!!

    Well, got it all hooked up but the two hose's ends are exposed as I am still waiting for that catch can to arrive...


    [This message has been edited by randomwalk101 (edited September 05, 2000).]

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey, don't knock the Honda engineers on this one. JR put the blower where it blocks access to a "serviced" part, not Honda. As to changing the PCV valve out, an angled forceps makes fast work of it.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    With the pliers I bought specifically for this, I can change the PCV valve in maybe 5 minutes.

    The guys who design the engines probably also specify required tools for authorized techs.

    Greg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •